Work type: Staff Full-time
Location: UMBC Campus
The incumbent ensures that library services are performed safely and efficiently, and library users are served courteously, promptly and in accordance with the Public Services Division’s values of approachability, cooperation, diversity and inclusion, professionalism and excellent quality of work. In addition to general supervision of the attendants who staff the service desk and perform circulation transactions during evening hours, the incumbent also oversees resource sharing activities for the department, ensuring that patrons' requests are processed daily. Communicates with libraries in the consortium for issues related to requests fulfillment, missing packages or materials and statistics related to courier services. As a member of the Circulation department’s leadership team, works with other supervisors and the department head on for strategic priorities, supervision and training goals, student scheduling, professional development, guidelines and procedures for the department at large.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree is required
- Three years of experience directly related to the primary duties of this position, with at least one year in a lead or supervisory capacity
- Ability to work independently and exercise initiative in applying rules, procedures and instructions
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrated skill in problem solving and handling difficult situations or patron interactions
- Demonstrated skill in planning and coordinating work
- Demonstrated skill in motivating and training staff and/or student employees
- Demonstrated familiarity and proficiency with MS Word, Excel and Google Suite applications (e.g., Mail, Calendar)
Note: Additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
Preferred Qualifications: Experience working in a library and with a traditional age college population
Special Instructions to Applicants: For best consideration please upload a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references.
Closing Date: December 31, 2021
Salary: Pay Range 12 (starting at $46,295) based on the University System of Maryland Pay Program
Hours: This is a full-time position from Sunday through Thursday with an evening schedule (2:00 PM to 10:30 PM – Schedule subject to change, based on changes in library hours).
FLSA Status: Nonexempt
Benefits: UMBC offers a benefits package for regular and grant-funded regular employees including generous leave, excellent health, life, and disability insurance, retirement plans, tuition remission, on-site preschool, and numerous professional development and wellness opportunities. Contingent II positions may include some benefits.
Please note the Type and FLSA Status above to determine the benefits offered for this position.
To read more and apply, please visit: https://listings.umbc.edu/en-us/job/493556/library-services-supervisor