Work type: Faculty- Librarian
The Albin O. Kuhn Library & Gallery at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County seeks an experienced and innovative manager to become a key member of the Library Executive Team and to provide future vision, oversight, leadership and strategic direction for the library's public services.
This permanent status-eligible full-time, non-tenure track library faculty position at the rank of Librarian II reports to the Library Director. The Associate Director is the head of Public Services and provides leadership and strategic visioning for the departments of Reference Services, Circulation Media Services, Interlibrary Loan, and Special Collections and Archives and the Library Gallery at UMBC's Albin O. Kuhn Library & Gallery.
Specific duties include:
- Develop, set and assess the strategic direction for Circulation Media, Special Collections, Reference and Interlibrary Loan Departments;
- Ensure that goals and strategic direction align with the Library's Strategic Plan;
- Lead departmental managers who are responsible for Circulation Media, Special Collections, Reference and Interlibrary Loan Departments;
- Participate in library planning in collaboration with the Director and Associate Directors;
- Serve on library-wide, university and university system committees and task forces including the Library Executive Council; and
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- MLS/MLIS from an ALA accredited program required.
- Five years' professional experience with progressive responsibility, including a minimum of three years' experience managing and developing staff in an academic library, particularly in public services areas.
- Proven knowledge of current and emerging trends, principles, procedures, and best practices related to at least three of the public services areas: circulation, course reserves, resource sharing (Interlibrary Loan), information services (reference), and stacks management.
- A record of successful collaborative work in a complex environment, such as a consortium or multi-type library.
- Proven leadership and management skills.
- Proven experience working in a collaborative team environment.
- Demonstrated commitment to high quality user service.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including ability to
communicate clearly, knowledgeably and person-ably both verbally and in
- Experience working with Ex Libris products.
- Experience working directly in one (or more) of the public services departments: Reference, Interlibrary Loan, Circulation/Media, and Special Collections & Library Gallery.
- Experience managing change in an academic library.
This position is a full time (40 hours/week), 12-month library faculty appointment at anticipated rank of Librarian II. Salary commensurate with experience—minimum salary $95,000. Comprehensive benefits.
The successful candidate will be expected to meet library and university requirements for reappointment, promotion, and permanent status, as outlined in part 6.6 of the Faculty Handbook - http://provost.umbc.edu/faculty-handbook/.
To read more about this position, and to apply, please visit the posting on the UMBC jobs site.