Work type: Faculty- Librarian
Location: UMBC Campus
Categories: Information Technology/IT, Library
- Oversees the daily operations of the Library Information Technology and Systems Unit and is responsible for administering and maintaining library specific applications including but not limited to, ILLiad, GIST, CONTENTdm, Connexion, Ares, and Aleph.
- Works closely with their counterparts in the campus’s Division of Information Technology (DoIT).
- Works collaboratively with library staff to maintain staff computers and explore the use of new and/or existing technologies.
- Assists with the coordination and continued development of Library digitization projects.
- Maintains the Library digital signage and room reservations systems.
- Responsibilities may include reviewing library hardware and software needs as well as providing programming support for library services and projects.
- Participates in Library, Campus, and USMAI committees and/or working groups.
- Trains and supervises LITS staff and offers software training to general library staff.
- Documents and develops procedures for the LITS unit.
- Reports to the Associate Director, Library Information Technology Services.
- ALA accredited MLS or equivalent advanced degree
- Knowledge of computer workstations and related troubleshooting, Intel/Mac operating systems and networking technology, and computer security. Knowledge of web client and server applications, databases, Web programming environments, HTML, CSS, XML, XSLT, and scripting languages.
- Knowledge or experience working with integrated library systems and the application of technology to enhance effectiveness in library operations.
- Demonstrated knowledge of technology trends, standards, information technology best practices, and issues in academic libraries.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of information technology principles, processes, systems and standards, including operating systems, systems security, wireless networking, and digital initiatives and emerging web technologies.
- Demonstrated experience managing multiple priorities.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- Background in computer science or related field.
- Experience working with digital repositories or working to develop projects that support locally digitized scholarly content.
- Experience leading projects or implementing new technologies, preferably in an academic library environment.
- Experience with Ex Libris products.
Please upload a cover letter, a resume or curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information for three professional references.
For questions about submitting application materials, contact Lynda Aldana (email@example.com).
For questions about the position, contact Lynda Aldana (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Screening of Applications Begins:
Review of application materials will begin September 14, 2018 and will continue until the position is filled.
Salary & Benefits:
This position is a full time (40 hours/week), 12-month library faculty appointment at anticipated rank of Librarian I. Salary commensurate with experience—minimum salary $60,000. Comprehensive benefits.
The successful candidate will be expected to meet library and university requirements for reappointment, promotion, and permanent status, as outlined in part 6.6 of the Faculty Handbook - http://provost.umbc.edu/faculty-handbook/.