Work type: Faculty- Librarian
Location: UMBC Campus
As part of the Library and Information Technology Services division, the IT Librarian manages the daily operations of IT support and AV services in the Library & Gallery. This position also works closely with the Division of Information Technology (DoIT) on the management of the Library’s public computing and AV resources. The IT Librarian ensures efficient management of and response to bugs and suggestions through effective use of the issue tracking system ‘RT’.
This position makes recommendations on upgrades, repairs, replacements, retention, and adoption of new technologies based on equipment life cycles, usage, user needs, and technology trends. Engages and works collaboratively with faculty, students, and staff both inside and outside the Library & Gallery to ensure technology solutions are effective and equitable including selection and implementation of assistive and accessible technologies. Demonstrates ability to work effectively in a diverse environment and a commitment to providing equitable and inclusive service.
Supports efficient use of technology for employees in the Library & Gallery including through development and delivery of training on technology-related best practices on topics such as document management and use of cloud systems. Participates as the IT expert on library committees and working groups as appropriate.
Assists with the technology planning and implementation for local digitization projects and participates in developing and implementing the Library & Gallery’s digital preservation strategy.
Manages and maintains local servers including backup and recovery. Works with DoIT to implement and manage suitable cloud-based storage and backup options.
Trains and supervises LITS staff, and develops and documents procedures.
Other duties as assigned.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Requires a Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited library school or information science program.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of computer workstations, networking, and computer security.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of information technology principles, processes, systems and standards, including operating systems, systems security, wireless networking, and digital initiatives and emerging web technologies.
- Experience leading projects or implementing new technologies, preferably in an academic library environment.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) and demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and effectively in a diverse and inclusive environment.
- Knowledge of project management principles and practices.
- Knowledge of web client and server applications, databases, and Web programming environments.
- Knowledge of system administration and network administration.
- Knowledge or experience working with integrated library systems and the application of technology to enhance effectiveness in library operations.
- Knowledge of technology trends, standards, information technology best practices, and issues in academic libraries
- Background in computer science or related field.
- Demonstrated knowledge or working experience with database and software design, and cyber security.
- Experience working with digital repositories or working to develop projects that support locally digitized scholarly content.
- Supervisory experience.
- Experience with Ex Libris products.
Position is a 12-month library faculty appointment at anticipated rank of Librarian II. Salary range: $65,000 to $70,000 plus comprehensive benefits.
The successful candidate will be expected to meet library and university requirements for reappointment, promotion, and permanent status, as outlined in part 6.6 of the Faculty Handbook - http://provost.umbc.edu/faculty-handbook/.
This is a full time (40 hrs/wk) position, Monday to Friday.
When submitting your application, please upload a cover letter, a resume
or curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information for three
Special Instructions to Applicants: