Grad Students & Postdocs: Project Management Training (PMP)
Guest: Dr. Don Engel, Assistant Vice President for Research
Wednesday, June 12, 2013 · Noon - 2 PM
On Campus : Commons 331
Dear Postdoctoral Fellows and Graduate Students,
You are invited to a special "Pathways to Careers" preparation workshop:
June 12, 2013: "Introduction to the PMP (Project Management Professional - Leadership Training): Credentials and Certification"
- Special guest facilitator: Dr. Don Engel, UMBC's Assistant Vice President for Research
-- Includes an introduction to the Skillsoft modules for PMP training by Jill Weinknecht Wardell, UMBC Training and Development Specialist.
The PMP is a special certification that is used in government, industry, and academic administration. Our workshop is free, but you may also seek training through the UMBC Training Centers: http://www.umbc.edu/trainctr/pm/pmcertificateprogram.html
Note that they have a webinar about the certificate in Project Management tomorrow, April 4, 2013.
To participate in our free seminar in June, we are asking that you do the following:
1) RSVP here by signing into MyUMBC and clicking the green "I can attend" button.
2) Send email to Jill Weinknecht Wardell, UMBC Training and Development Specialist at email@example.com.
Use the subject "PMP Training and Skillsoft Registration" and cc firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please indicate the following in the email: (Update added 4/5/13)
* Year in Graduate School/Year of Postdoc
* Graduate Assistant (Yes or No) and department of assistantship
The first 50 graduate students and postdoctoral fellows who complete #1 and #2 will be able to register for the Skillsoft online training modules. These modules will be free for you until the end of the summer.
If you already have a Skillsoft username and password and will be attending the session, please follow step 1 above. You don't need to contact Jill Wardell.
If you don't want to use the Skillsoft modules, but still want to attend the session, please follow step 1.
- This session on June 12 will be an introduction to the certification process, and how obtaining the PMP can help you with your career goals.
- You can receive training for the PMP's external certification examination online through Skillsoft (see #2 above), or in-person for a fee through UMBC's Training Centers.
- This session on June 12 will be followed by a set of "Working Study and Coaching Sessions for the PMP" on July 9-11 in Commons 331. Dr. Engel will come to these cohort working group sessions each morning to offer coaching.
- All participants in the cohort will be encouraged to take the PMP exam (at an external location) by August 31, 2013.
Lunch will be served at this event. Please RSVP today