TA Training/Orientation: Teaching and Learning Workshop
New TA? Or interested in being a TA or in teaching?
Breakfast and Lunch will be served.
- $2000 "Professors in Training" (PROF-it) Opportunities at the Community College of Baltimore County (CCBC) - UMBC/CCBC Teaching Fellows Program
- Teaching Undergraduates Through the "Introduction to an Honors University (IHU)" Program
- The Center for the Integration of Research, Teaching, and Leadership (CIRTL) - UMBC's Role in the national center, and available resources
- "Teaching Disciplinary Thinking"
- Instructional Technologies (Including Blackboard, Bb screencasting, and Bb Collaborate for virtual office hours.)
- Conflict Resolution: What Every TA Needs to Know
- Assisting Students with Disabilities
- Counseling Center
- Panels of experienced TAs and instructors in Social Sciences and Humanities disciplines, and for Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) fields.
- Lunch Success Seminar on Life/Work Balance (Robert Deluty, Associate Dean of the Graduate School, Associate Professor of Psychology, Affiliate Associate Professor of English, Poet, and Author). Register for this event using the following link: http://my.umbc.edu/groups/promise/events/40170
9:00 AM: Instructional Technologies - Blackboard Online Technology for Teaching - Includes Bb screen casting, and Bb Collaborate for virtual office hours.
Mariann Hawken, Specialist, Instructional Technology, Division of Information Technology
9:30 AM: PROF-it Teaching Opportunities
- Teaching opportunities that exist with UMBC's first-year programs (Jill Randles, Assistant Vice President and Assistant Dean, Undergraduate Education)
- Opportunities for enhanced training with Skillsoft (Jill Wardell, Manager, Workplace Learning & Wellness)
- CCBC, AACC, Ana G. Mendez University (Dr. Renetta Tull); Center for the Integration of Teaching and Learning - CIRTL (Dr. Renetta Tull & Dr. Anne Spence)
Dr. Linda Hodges, Director of the Faculty Development Center
11:00 AM: Conflict Resolution
Stephanie Lazarus, Human Relations Manager
11:15 AM: Assisting Students with Disabilities
Tawny McManus, Director, Office of Student Disability Services
11:30 AM: Counseling Center
Dr. Kristin Sagun, Assistant Director, Counseling Center
11:45 AM: "Top TAs" Give Advice in Discipline-specific sessions
- The Graduate Assistant Advisory Committee (Deanna Cerquetti, Dan Miller)
- Breakout Sessions (Discussions include: Leading a lab, grading, teaching class, time management, and more)