Dissertation House (Winter 2021)
Complete your thesis in record time!
This Dissertation House is hosted by the Graduate School at UMBC for UMBC students only.
Application Deadline: Wednesday, December 30, 2020
Dates for Dissertation House:Tuesday, Jan 19 to Friday, Jan 22, 2021
Time: 9 am – 5 pm (each day)
Limited Spots available, apply early.
Apply to the Dissertation House Here.
Graduate students who plan to participate should follow the application procedures on the application webpage for the Dissertation House. The application period closes on Wednesday, December 30, 2020. (Please note that there are only 18 slots for this event, consider applying early). Applications received after December 30, 2020, will be considered for the DH waiting list.
Registration: Please log into myUMBC, click “Going” at the bottom of this page, *AND* follow the application procedures on the main website for the Dissertation House: https://dissertationhouse.wordpress.com/apply/. The application period to attend the Dissertation House closes on Wednesday, December 30, 2020.
- The Dissertation House runs from 9 AM – 5 PM, for four days, Tuesday, Jan 19, 2021, through Friday, Jan 22, 2021.
- Students must plan to attend the full sessions, for each of the 4 days.
- The daily schedule includes 2 mini-lectures and 5 hours of writing per day.
- The Dissertation House is free for UMBC’s graduate students.
- There are 18 spaces available for the Dissertation House.
- Details regarding eligibility can be found on the application page of the website for the Dissertation House.
More information about the DissertationHouse: https://dissertationhouse.wordpress.com/about/
Why should You apply to the Dissertation House?
Students who participate in this program will spend each day thinking, writing, and sharing ideas about their doctoral dissertations. Students will learn effective time-management skills; learn how to set small manageable goals, and will meet with a dissertation coach in one-on-one consultations to discuss and address obstacles that might prevent them from completing their degrees.
The Dissertation House activities focus on areas where students typically have difficulty: conceptualizing a topic, writing a literature review, transitioning from a proposal to a dissertation, analyzing data, writing the last chapter, and editing.
How to Apply
- Create a single word document with the following settings:
- font size 11-12 pt
- 1 inch margins
- Divide it into 2 sections - Part 1 and Part 2
- In Part 1, type your header information on one page:
- Telephone numbers (mobile, home, office)
- E-mail address
- Academic Program
- Year in program (1st year, 5th Year, etc)
- Type up a brief description (maximum 2 pages) that describes the project that you wish to accomplish during the Dissertation House period.
- In Part 2, type up the following:
- Summary of the project, including research question(s), data, texts, and methods
- Amount completed on the project to date
- Any obstacles you have encountered that hinders completion of the dissertation
- Email application to firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line format: "Dissertation House Winter 2021 Application: FirstName LastName"
Applications will not be reviewed or accepted outside of the application enrollment period.
Dates: Tuesday, Jan 19 - Friday, Jan 22, 2021
Selection Process: Eighteen (18) participants will be selected for participation in the Dissertation House.
The following applicants will have priority:
- Applicants who plan to finish the Ph.D. within the next 6 months
- Individuals who are working on dissertations and theses rather than a proposal
- Applicants who submit earliest, and
- Individuals who appear most able to benefit from the services offered at the Dissertation House.
If your application is accepted, you will receive an acceptance notice via email and additional details about the Dissertation House.
For more information, please email: email@example.com
To ask questions about accessibility or request accommodations, please contact Yarazeth Medina at firstname.lastname@example.org. At least two weeks' advance notice will help us to provide seamless access.