SkillSoft Spotlights focus on just-in-time online learning that supports you in navigating complex challenges in personal and professional life, helps you to increase your effectiveness, and to improve your relationships. Each course is 30 minutes or less and is curated to provide tools, strategies, and practices to accelerate your success.
This week's spotlight course is Difficult People: Strategies to Keep Everyone Working Together (31 min).
While it's best to get personally fit for dealing with difficult people – that is, managing your own emotions and using self-management techniques – there are also interpersonal strategies and skills you need when working on a team with difficult people.
In this course, you’ll learn strategies for managing difficult people that involve redirecting their behavior toward your work goals. You’ll discover ways of working together effectively with negative people by giving appropriate feedback when needed. You’ll also learn how to make your collaboration work with difficult people more productive by managing conflicts professionally.
- recognize interpersonal strategies that help you work with difficult people
- choose ground rules that will help redirect the behavior styles of difficult people
- direct difficult behavior toward desired goals
- choose the appropriate time and conditions for giving effective feedback
- identify appropriate strategies for delivering feedback
- follow appropriate steps to manage conflict with a difficult person
- use interpersonal skills and strategies when working with difficult people
Once logged in, simply type the name of the course in the search bar.
Need Login Assistance? Email firstname.lastname@example.org to set up your account and to help with login difficulties. UMBC faculty and staff accounts are set up within 1 month of hire.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Visit our UMBC SkillSoft page for information on UMBC’s curated role and topic-based certificate tracks as well as professional industry certifications that align with SkillSoft courses.