AFAC Funding Application Process
The UMBC Adjunct Faculty Advisory Committee (AFAC) has been allocated a yearly amount of funding to support adjunct faculty.
Among other activities, the AFAC is committed to supporting adjunct faculty in research and professional development.
Note: This award is capped at $500 per individual per academic year. ROLLING DEADLINE, apply timely.
What the award might cover or defray:
· Expenses (travel, fees, etc.) to PRESENT at a conference – papers, panels, or visual arts/other presentations; transportation or costs required to present
· Expenses to PRESENT at another university – seminar, demonstration
· Support for courses or for professional training in some instances
What the award would not cover or defray:
· Most dues for professional organizations
· Most memberships in associations
· Subscriptions to periodicals or for services
For obvious reasons, we cannot spend a disproportionate amount on one individual or on a single trip. Local conferences may be a feasible option. If you are committed to attending a professional conference, then by all means apply for funding to defray all or part of your costs.
1) Send an email to the AFAC with a short, specific proposal. Include a one-page executive summary; please provide the time and place of the conference/seminar, name of event, and name of host institution. Document the invitation or conference program; explain your participation in the conference; and/or document your acceptance. (For example, scan and submit a copy of the program and/or your invitation, etc.)
2) Please attach your credentials with your academic specialization, briefly explain your project in the context of your work at UMBC, and include a short bio.
3) Please include the dollar amount you are applying for, and document the costs it will defray. Briefly state whether this is supplemental funding.
4) Only one successful application per individual per academic year.
5) The AFAC reads your application and will get back to you with any questions.
6) AFAC decideS as soon as possible whether to award funding. We enthusiastically support research and professional development by adjunct faculty.
7) Note that we cannot pay expenses in advance. If your application is approved, please document your participation and expenses afterward for reimbursement.