UMBC is conducting an internal search for the position of Associate Provost for Academic Affairs. The position reports to the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and works with the Vice Provost for Academic Affairs in providing leadership and oversight for the activities in the Academic Affairs unit of the Provost’s Office.
The responsibilities and expectations of the Associate Provost for Academic Affairs include, but are not limited to:
- Manage the periodic Academic Program Review (APR) and the Year Three Review (YTR) processes, including selection of the external reviewers, review of the department self-study drafts, scheduling and developing the agenda for the external visits, hosting the kickoff dinners and meetings with the external reviewers, providing guidance to the departments in preparing the APR and YTR reports and the action plans following the reviews.
- Lead the continued development and implementation of the Next Generation APR that incorporates annual review of key data sets which will assist departments and programs to assess, plan, and make better decisions for continued improvement of their academic programs.
- Provide leadership to the development of new and revised academic programs to support UMBC’s mission and strategic enrollment plans.
- Coordinate UMBC’s responses to USM and MHEC regarding new academic program proposals issued by the other higher education institutions in Maryland and the sister institutions in USM.
- Coordinate the campus effort to streamline the listings and webpages of the various UMBC programs and degrees offered, working with OIA, Enrollment Management, Undergraduate Admissions, the Graduate School, DPS, and DoIT.
- Support the preparation for UMBC’s next Middle States Accreditation exercise scheduled for 2025-2026.
- Support the forthcoming review and revision of UMBC’s general education program.
- Provide leadership and co-chair with the Vice Provost for Academic Affairs the following campus initiatives:
a) Instructional Space and Scheduling Improvements Task Force; chair the Scheduling Authority Work Group
b) Program Innovation Council
c) Classroom Committee
- Serve on the Commencement Executive Committee
- Lead Academic Affairs/Provost Office special projects as assigned.
- Supervise the Academic Affairs Specialist and co-supervise with the Vice Provost for Academic Affairs the Administrative Assistant II
- Other duties as assigned
Applicants for the position, at the minimum should:
- Hold a tenured faculty position at UMBC.
- Demonstrate a commitment to support faculty, students, staff, departments, colleges and the broad University community.
- Demonstrate a commitment to, and knowledge of, the shared governance procedures that oversee academic program development and review.
- Have previous experience with the academic program development and/or review process.
- Have previous experience leading university committees and executing academic administrative functions.
- Have previous experience working effectively with faculty and administrators across disciplines, inter-disciplines and colleges.
- Have previous experience working with and leading multidisciplinary and multifunctional teams
- Have previous experience supervising exempt and non-exempt staff
Interested applicants are encouraged to submit an application that includes:
- A current curriculum vitae in the UMBC format, and
- A cover letter (up to three pages) outlining qualifications and skills for the position, that includes a description of:
- The candidate’s understanding of the responsibilities and expectations of the position - The applicant’s approaches for addressing such responsibilities and expectations
Applications should be submitted electronically by close of business on Monday, May 9, 2022 to:
Ms. Jerilyn Johnson
Executive Administrative Assistant II
Office of the Provost
We anticipate a decision will be announced on or before May 25, 2022 with an expected start date of July 1, 2022.
Please direct questions related to the position to Dr. Antonio Moreira (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Philip Rous, Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs
UMBC IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER