Ph.D. student Alison Spock has co-authored a commentary that is scheduled to be published in the December 2022 issue of the Journal of Adolescent Health.
In the piece titled, “Strategies to Improve Measurement of Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Among Youth," the authors make five recommendations:
- Ask about all three dimensions of sexual orientation;
- Offer response options that account for a range of gender identities;
- Include an “I’m Not Sure Yet” response option;
- Collect SOGI data with each administration of a longitudinal survey; and
- Ensure privacy and confidentiality during survey administration.