The H. Furlong Baldwin Library at the Maryland Historical Society library is seeking undergraduate or graduate level interns to assist with the Preserve the Baltimore Uprising Archive Project (www.baltimoreuprising2015.org). Duties entail conducting oral history interviews, organizing digital photographs and other items, maintaining inventory lists, and making information available to researchers via the web. Maturity, reliability, and attention to detail are essential. Interns will work directly with the Digital Projects Manager, Special Collections Librarians, and Imaging Services technician. Internship work hours: a minimum of 2 hours per shift anytime between Tuesday through Friday, 10am - 4:30pm. This internship requires a minimum of between 100–120 hours and includes a $1,000 stipend.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Learning and understanding the Omeka platform and various plugins.
- Uploading digital contributions to the Preserve the Baltimore Uprising Archive Project website.
- Researching subjects for interviews and conducting interviews.
- Researching buildings/streets/people pictured in order to obtain more information.
- Maintaining an inventory list of all pertinent information.
- Editing and creating new pages for the website.
- Excellent data management skills, organizational skills, and attention to detail.
- Some familiarity with A/V equipment, Adobe Photoshop, or other editing software.
- Currently enrolled in a History, Library Science, Archives, or Photography Fine Art program at a college or university.
- Flexibility and ability to work with minimal supervision.
Valued but not required:
- Experience with handling archival collections and historic photographs.
- Familiarity with processes of photography and digital storage.
- Experience in an archive or library.
The internship may be completed for college credit if approved by your college or university. To be considered for this position, please send a resume, cover letter, and two professional references to:
Imaging Services Department
No phone calls please. Maryland Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer.