History Department Advising Guidelines
As of Fall 2018 the History Department changed the format for undergraduate major and minor advising for advanced course registration. Instead of meeting with a specific, assigned advisor you can now be advised and get clearance for course registration by coming to open advising hours. Available advisors and advising hours will be posted on the History department website [ https://history.umbc.edu ] and in the History department. Contact Ms. Ison in the History department if you have any questions (410-455-2012) or (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- For Advanced Registration for FALL 2019 the History Department will hold OPEN ADVISING HOURS:
- TUES MAR 26 9-10am; 12-1pm & WED MAR 27 12-1pm; 3-4pm
- MON APR 1 11-3pm; TUES APR 2 11-3pm; WED APR 3 11-5pm; THURS APRIL 4 11-3pm; & FRI APR 5 10-11am; 1-3pm
- MON APR 8 10-2pm; TUES APR 9, 10-4; WED APR 10 10-3pm; & THURS APR 11 10-3pm
- MON APR 15 11-1pm; TUES APR 16 11-3pm; WED APR 17 11-1pm & THUS APR 18 11-1; 4-5pm
- Before your advising meeting with a History department advisor, please follow the Registrar’s Step by Step guide to Registration on your myUMBC page.
- Check your degree audit to see what courses and requirements you have fulfilled.
- Download and fill in the “Requirements to Complete the Major” form that can be found on the History department website under Students --Departmental Forms drop down menu [ https://history.umbc.edu/departmental-forms ].
- Please bring this form with you to your advising session. This will ensure that you have a productive and timely advising session.
Note: If you have already established an advising relationship with a particular History professor, look out for their available advising times to see them during the advising weeks. If your schedules don’t align, you may contact them directly by email to set up an advising appointment. Otherwise, history majors can be advised by any history department advisor available during the open advising hours.