For every year of scholarship support, scholars commit to two paid service obligations in the NIH Intramural Research Program. These are:
- A ten-week full-time summer internship at the NIH immediately following the year of scholarship support
- One year of full-time work at the NIH post-graduation; this service obligation may be deferred until completion of an advanced degree program.
- Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a full-time undergraduate student at an accredited four-year college or university.
- Have a grade point average of 3.3 or greater on a 4.0-point scale, or rank within the top five percent of your class.
- Demonstrate exceptional financial need certified by your undergraduate institutions financial aid office