you interested in conducting research and being mentored by
faculty, post-doctoral fellows and advanced graduate students?
Would you like to know how to prepare for and to pursue a PhD degree?
Does spending time on the beautiful campus of NC State appeal to you?
Will you have completed at least your sophomore year of college by next summer?
You may be the right candidate for RISE (tentative dates: May 31 - August 1, 2020)! This program is hosted by the Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering at NC State University.
Students who participate in this program will be better prepared and motivated to pursue advanced degrees, thereby helping to sustain a rich talent pool in critical areas related to all aspects of civil engineering research and innovation. We encourage participation from engineering students from underrepresented and underserved groups from the U.S. and its territories.
RISE is open to current undergraduate students in the upper classes as well as master's students who are interested in doctoral studies. The RISE program will be hosted at the NC State campus in Raleigh, NC, during the months of June and July (May 31 - August 1), 2020.
· Conduct state-of-the-art research related to challenging civil and environmental engineering problems
§ List of recent research projects >>>>
· Be mentored by NC State faculty, post-doctoral fellows, and advanced graduate students
· Experience the diverse research atmosphere and culture at NC State University >>>>
· Present results at a research symposium and poster competition >>>>
· Participate in weekly seminars and workshops to prepare for graduate school and professional development
§ e.g., preparation of research abstract, poster, research statement; planning for research and academic careers
· Engage in social and community activities
· Have opportunities to co-author scientific manuscripts with the mentors
· Receive a $4,000 stipend; in addition, university housing will be covered, and travel for non-NCSU participants
· Have access to campus facilities (e.g., library, athletic, and health facilities)
· Should have attended an academic institution in the U.S. or its territories
· Should have completed undergraduate sophomore year by June 2020 or be in a master's program
· Be enrolled as a student in an US academic institution in Fall 2020 semester
· Hold a competitive GPA (3.5 or above on a 4.0 scale is recommended)
· Demonstrate a genuine interest in research and in pursuing a doctoral degree
· Persons from underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply
· Application Deadline: Review starts February 20
· Notifications: March-April
· Program Dates: (tentative) May 31 - August 1, 2020
RISE participants must be resident at NC State University full-time during the 2-month program. During this period, participants may not enroll for classes, concurrent summer programs, or hold other employment. RISE is held on the NC State University campus in Raleigh, NC.
· Contents of application
§ Application form
§ Including contact information (name, title, affiliation, email, phone) for up to 2 references
§ A single pdf file consisting of:
§ A brief resume (two page limit)
§ Statement of interest, including academic background, research and future career goals, your expectations from participating in in the RISE program (two page limit)
§ Transcript(s) (unofficial copies are acceptable)
· SUBMIT APPLICATION for 2020 (Review starts February 17)
2019 PROGRAM DETAILS