Greetings Residential Retrievers--
As we enter a new month, we want to provide you with some important updates and reminders to get you through the end of the semester. Please take the time to review this email.
- November 23, 2022 at 8 PM | Eight-month communities close for Fall Break
- November 27, 2022 at Noon | Eight-month communities reopen
- November 30, 2022 | End of Semester Room Change Application Deadline. Contact your Community Director in advance of this deadline if you want to be considered for a room change.
- November 30, 2022 | Recommended deadline to request Spring Housing License Release Petition Form
- November 30, 2022 | Fall Housing Freeze Begins
Special Dining Events
- November 9, 2022 | Falafel Teaching Kitchen
- November 16, 2022 | Friendsgiving Dinner in True Grits
- November 20, 2022 | World Cup Kick-off Lunch in True Grits
Residential Life Focus Group
We want to hear from you! Volunteer to participate in a focus group on November 30, 2022 from Noon-1 p.m. The topic for our first focus group of the year is Residential Life Community Spaces & Amenities.
If you are available and interested, we encourage you to sign-up by submitting the volunteer form (https://forms.gle/RiFVjEVZGc19Xv51A) by November 9, 2022 at 5PM. Residential Life will select a random sample of volunteers (10-15 students) to attend the November focus group. If invited to participate, lunch will be provided.
Thanksgiving Closing & Health & Safety Inspections
Eight-month communities (Chesapeake, Erickson, Patapsco, Susquehanna, and Harbor (2-4 North & all East wings) close for Thanksgiving Break on Wednesday, November 23, 2022 at 8:00 p.m. and reopen on Sunday, November 27, 2022 at Noon.
Students in 8-month communities are expected to vacate and complete the below checklist to help ensure the overall health & safety of your room and personal belongings:
- Clean your bathroom and personal spaces well.
- Remove and dispose of all trash in a trash room or a dumpster.
- Turn the heat to 68-72 degrees.
- Unplug all appliances and extension cords from the wall, with the exception of refrigerators and fish tanks.
- Feed your fish and water your plants.
- Pack medications and other necessities you might need during break.
- Turn off water.
- Turn off lights and bathroom exhaust fans.
- Close and lock all windows and doors.
- Close blinds on ground-level floor rooms; leave blinds up on all other floors.
- Report facilities concerns to your RA or FXIT (410-455-3948).
RAs will conduct an inspection in each 8-month community. Failure to properly prepare your space and vacate by the deadline may result in student conduct action. For more information about break closing please contact your RA or Community Director.
Room Freeze & End of Semester Room Changes
Fall room assignments are frozen beginning November 30, 2022 to allow Residential Life staff to prepare for any upcoming transitions. Room changes will not be permitted during the remainder of the semester.
If you are looking to change rooms for the Spring Semester, please contact your Community Director about opportunities for End of Semester Room Changes (ESRC). If your Community Director believes you are eligible for an ESRC, you may be issued the ESRC Application. There is a firm deadline of November 30, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. to submit the ESRC application. Late applications will not be considered.
Submission of an ESRC application does not guarantee approval. Priority for ESRC approval is as follows: students with an accommodation approval from Student Disability Services, and students approved for an administrative move by Residential Life.
- Residents moving to a 8-month community are expected to vacate completely by 8PM on December 21, 2022 and will move into their new room on Sunday, January 29, 2022 at 9 a.m.
- Residents moving to a 9-month community are expected to relocate on December 23, 2022 between 10 a.m.-1 p.m.; no exceptions will be made.
Spring Semester Housing Petitions
As a current resident you acknowledged a housing license (contract) that is for the entire academic year. If you do not plan to return to housing in the Spring Semester please review your options and complete the outlined instructions.
- Not Returning to UMBC (Transfer, Withdraw and/or Leave of Absence): Students who do not plan to return to UMBC are not automatically released from the housing license. Please contact Residential Life or the WAA Management Office to request access to the Housing License Petition Request Form before November 30, 2022.
- Extenuating Circumstance Preventing Return to Housing (Medical, Financial, etc.): Students who plan to attend UMBC in the Spring but do not wish to return to on-campus housing must contact Residential Life or the WAA Management Office to request access to the Housing License Petition Request Form before November 30, 2022. License releases are extraordinary, not automatic, and will be reviewed, with appropriate supporting documentation.
- December Graduates & Study Abroad Students: Residents who have applied and are approved for December graduation or Spring Study Abroad are automatically released from the terms of the license. You are not expected to complete a petition form. Walker Avenue residents should contact the WAA Management Office via email.
Additional information about the petition process can be found in the "Cancellation" section on https://reslife.umbc.edu/rlexperience/procedures/.
Have a wonderful day!