The Shriver Center's active partnerships continue to grow (some 20+ years to include MS Swim at the Catonsville YMCA, Saint Agnes Hospital, and The Choice Program). Each year, we receive more requests from nonprofits and schools to host enthusiastic and talented UMBC students at their organizations. UMBC students and faculty facilitate some of these new partnerships. Attached you will find the 096 Community Service & Learning Practicum Syllabus which outlines expectations.
Several community partners have significant openings - all can be found on the attached our Fall 2015 Service Chart. When we mention "Monday-Thursday," it means the site operates Monday through Thursday, NOT that you have to volunteer all of those days:
• Walden Circle: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday
• The Commodore to College Project: Monday-Thursday, 1:45-4pm; Friday, 1:30-3:30 pm
• Paul's Place: Monday-Thursday, 3-5 pm
• Young Explorers at Lakeland Elementary/Middle School: Mondays and Wednesdays
• Esperanza Center: Monday 9:15 am-1 pm (includes travel time) or any other day if do not need transport.
• Maryland Food Bank: Monday-Friday, 9am-12pm or 1-4pm
• College Gardens: Mondays
Refer to the Fall 2015 Service Chart, which goes into detail about all of the aforementioned sites. Some of these sites have transportation (travel time built in), some do not. This chart will be updated at http://shrivercenter.umbc.edu/096-community-service-learning-practicum/ . In some cases, you can contact the program leads directly.
The Fall 2015 096 Prac registration ends THIS Wednesday, September (by @ 10am). Stop in on Tuesday, 9/29(1st floor of the Public Policy Building, just past the elevators), 8:30am-5pm, or call (410) 455-2493. We will do our best to accommodate drop ins.