The Shriver Center's active partnerships continue to grow (some 20+ years to include MS Swim at the Catonsville YMCA, Saint Agnes Hospital, and The Choice Program). Each year, we receive more requests from nonprofits and schools to host enthusiastic and talented UMBC students at their organizations. UMBC students and faculty facilitate some of these new partnerships. Attached you will find the 096 Community Service & Learning Practicum Syllabus which outlines expectations.
Several community partners have significant openings - all can be found on the attached Service Chart. When we mention "Monday-Thursday," it means the site operates Monday through Thursday, NOT that you have to volunteer all of those days:
• Walden Circle: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday
• The Commodore to College Project: Monday-Thursday, 1:45-4pm; Friday, 1:30-3:30 pm
• Paul's Place: Monday-Thursday, 3-5 pm
• Young Explorers at Lakeland Elementary/Middle School: Mondays and Wednesdays
• The Choice Program's Education Team at Lakeland Elementary/Middle School - Wednesdays
• Southwest Emergency Services - Mondays and Thursdays
• Weinberg Housing and Resource Center
• MS Swim at the Catonsville YMCA - Fridays
• Baltimore Community ToolBank
• Great Kids Farm
Refer to the Spring 2016 Service Chart, which goes into detail about all of the aforementioned sites. Some of these sites have transportation (travel time built in), some do not. Some of these sites are closed, based on capacity and/or timing of orientation. This includes Best Buddies, Saint Agnes Hospital, Saturday BARCS, and Esperanza Center (as a group). This chart will be updated at http://shrivercenter.umbc.edu/096-community-service-learning-practicum/ . In some cases, you can contact the program leads directly.
The Spring 096 Prac registration ends Monday, 2/29. The Shriver Center is located on the 1st floor of the Public Policy Building, just past the elevators), 8:30am-5pm, or call. We will do our best to accommodate drop ins.