As you get ready for your first day of classes, please make a plan to complete your entry test. Remember, all community members are required to test the first day they return to campus, regardless of vaccination status.
Note: This information is primarily for commuter students. Residential students will test when they move into their rooms but should plan ahead by downloading and registering the app.
1. We recommend that you take an at-home rapid test before you come to campus (within 24 hours).
2. Testing on-campus requires the use of a mobile app. Please review these instructions, download and register now, BEFORE you come to campus to test. If you need technical assistance, email email@example.com.
3. Watch this video on how to take the test.
4. Plan to test as soon as you arrive on campus, before 11 a.m. if possible.
5. When you come to campus, plan to pick up a vial and swab at:
The Retriever Activities Center (RAC)
January 31 - February 2
8:30 a.m. - 9 p.m. (technical assistance also available 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.)
The UMBC police station - Open 24/7
The Center for Well-Being - 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
The University Center 3rd floor vestibule - 7 a.m. - 11 p.m.
For residential students only: your community desk.
5. If you are testing at one of self-serve sites, find an isolated or distanced place to complete your swab. This may be your car or somewhere outside. Return your completed test to the drop box at each location. Do NOT test at the pick up and drop off locations as you may expose others.
6. If you need help, visit the RAC between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m., Monday - Wednesday, for technical assistance.
Frequently asked questions:
Can I be on campus while I am waiting for my results?
Yes. Once you complete your test, you may remain on campus to complete your day wearing an appropriate mask and maintaining physical distance as much as possible. We are relying on masking and distancing protocols to reduce on campus transmission while we await your test results. Given the shortage of testing in Maryland, we felt this was the fairest way to require an entry test.
How long will it take to receive my results?
UMBC cannot check on the status of individual tests. In general, it can take up to three business days to receive your results. Testing results from on-campus tests will be posted to your COVID Compliance Card in your myUMBC profile.
Is testing on campus safe?
We do believe testing on campus is safe, as long as community members follow instructions, pick up their kits, and swab in a location that is distanced from others. For the first week of classes, we are making additional testing and technical assistance available in the RAC (Monday - Wednesday 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.), in order to reduce any potential crowding at testing sites. In addition, it will be helpful to have most employees complete testing next week, before students return.
What if I recently tested positive? Should I test?
You are not required to test as you may continue to test positive for up to 90 days. You will need to report your result in order to be exempted from entry testing. Information on how to do this and when you can return to campus is available here.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.