Today's challenge is all about YOU! Mainly, we'll be focusing on the identities that make up who you are as an individual, leader, and person in the world. Identity is an ever evolving self-portrait; the on-going take, retake and update of "who am I". It changes overtime, and something important to not about identities is that some may be visible and some are not. Identity is also known to be a socially constructed concept grounded in: historical, political, cultural norms, and lived experiences. Ultimately, our identities result from our own navigation and meaning making of self, context, and relationships.
Take a moment, and simply think about all the pieces that make up the complex being of you. Using a physical sheet of paper or a virtual blank document, write or type the following:
- Gender Expression
- Physical/Emotional/Cognitive Capability
- Socio-Economic Class
- Sexual Orientation
- Geographical Origin
Reflect on the identities and descriptors mentioned above. On your personal paper or document, note the following:
- Which are most central to how you define yourself? Mark them with a star.
- What are central to how others define you? Mark them with an arrow.
- Which brings you most joy? Or pride? Mark them with a smiley face.
- Which would you like to understand further? Mark with a question mark.
Day 3 Challenge Questions:
- As you look at your words and markings, what stands out to you?
- Which of these identities empower your voice as a leader?
For reference, to access the Challenge Guidelines click on the "Download Image" button below. To provide your answers using mobile, follow and share your comments on the Challenge Day 3 posted on the Campus Life Instagram. Visit the Online Leadership Challenge page to access all the Challenge Day posts and for more information.