McNair Scholars Program Open House
Are you interested in learning more about the McNair Scholars Program? We encourage you to stop by our Open House!
All UMBC McNair Scholars are required to commit in writing to all program requirements and expectations. Some of the requirements and expectations include:
- Participation in the UMBC McNair Summer Research Institute or a summer research program at other institutions
- Engage in research or scholarly activities supported by their Faculty Research Mentors
- Write a research proposal and conduct research that will be presented at a national conference and the UMBC McNair Research Conference
- Attendance at weekly and/or bi-weekly McNair seminars/workshops
- Preparation for the GRE general examination
- Completion of PhD degree within ten (10) years of attaining a bachelor’s degree
- Register for the fall and spring McNair designated course for Research Methods
- Meet all other program requirements as outlined in scholar contract
UMBC students who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents and meet the following criteria are encouraged to apply to the McNair Scholars Program.
Applications must meet either one of the following criteria:
- First-generation college student (neither parent has earned a baccalaureate degree) and have low family income level, as established by the U.S. Department of Education; OR
- A member of a group that is underrepresented in graduate education. As defined in the Code of Federal Regulation: The following ethnic, and racial groups are considered underrepresented in graduate education: Black (non-Hispanic), Hispanic, American Indian, Alaskan Native (as defined in section 7306 of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965, as amended (ESEA)), Native Hawaiians (as defined in section 7207 of the ESEA), and Native American Pacific Islanders (as defined in section 320 of the HEA)
- 3.0 GPA or better, AND
- Plan to continue immediately to graduate school and persist to earn a Ph.D.
- Submit Online Application (This includes having two letters of recommendations)
- Complete Group Interview Process (Open to All Applicants)
- Complete Individual Interview Process (Invitation Only)
- Based on application and Group Interview results, applicants will be invited for an in-person interview. McNair Staff will take all recommendations to make the final selections