Greetings Residential Retrievers--
The fall semester is coming to a close and we wanted to share important information about end of semester closing. Please take the time to review this email.
- December 1, 2022 | Fall Semester Room Freeze in effect
- December 7, 2022 at 10PM | 24 Hour Quiet Hours Begin
- December 9, 2022 | Late Stay Applications Deadline
- December 21, 2022 | 8-Month Communities close at 8PM for Winter Break
Winter Break Closing Information
Eight-month communities close for Winter Break on December 21, 2022 at 8:00 PM and reopen on Sunday, January 29, 2023 at 9AM. Students are expected to leave 24 hours after their last exam, or by Dec. 21 at 8PM, whichever comes first.
Students in 8-month communities do not have to remove all of their items, but are expected to vacate and complete the below checklist to help ensure the overall health & safety of their room and personal belongings:
- Clean your bathroom and personal spaces well.
- Clean your refrigerator and dispose of perishable items.
- Defrost and prop microfridge doors open.
- Take valuables home including medicine, passports, pet fish, and any other items you will need over break. Communities will be inaccessible during break.
- Remove all remaining personal items from the floor and place them on elevated surfaces.
- Remove and dispose of all trash in a trash room or a dumpster.
- Set the heat between 70-72.
- Unplug all appliances and extension cords from the wall, including microfridges.
- Turn off water.
- Turn off lights and bathroom exhaust fans.
- Close and lock all windows and doors.
- Close blinds on ground floor rooms; leave blinds up on all other floors.
- Report facilities concerns to FXIT (x53948).
- Update your shipping/mailing address; mail will not be received/held during the break closure.
RAs will conduct an inspection in each 8-month community. Failure to properly prepare your space and vacate by the deadline may result in student conduct action. For more information about break closing please contact your RA or Community Director.
Late Stay Requests
Residents may be eligible to apply for late stay if their permanent address is more than 50 miles (Distance D) from UMBC and they are:
- Have a late exam ending after 8PM on December 21, 2022; or
- Volunteering with commencement
Residents approved for late stay will be expected to depart by December 22, 2021 at 10AM.
If you meet the requirements and do not see the application on your housing portal (umbc.edu/go/housing), please submit an RT Ticket requesting to be issued the late stay application. Late stay applications are due by Friday, December 9, 2022 at 5PM.
Requests for Spring Housing Release
As a current resident you acknowledged a housing license (contract) that is for the entire academic year (Fall & Spring semesters), however we recognize that circumstances may change for students and their families that impact their ability to continue at UMBC and/or in on-campus housing.
With the exception of December graduates and Spring Study Abroad students, if you are not planning to return to UMBC for the Spring and/or housing you may not automatically be released from the housing or terms of the license. Instead, you should contact Residential Life to request access to the Housing License Petition Request Form. Please note that License releases are extraordinary, not automatic, and will be reviewed, with appropriate supporting documentation.
Additional information about the petition process can be found in the "Petition for Release" section on https://reslife.umbc.edu/rlexperience/procedures/.
Spring Registration & Housing Eligibility
Spring registration is currently open to eligible students. If you are planning to continue to live on-campus, you should be working with your Academic Advisor to enroll as a full-time student for the Spring semester. Exceptions to that policy will be made for the following groups:
- Spring 2023 Graduates | Students registered to graduate at the end of Spring 2023 that do not need full-time status to meet graduation requirements, will be granted an exception to remain in housing at part-time status for the semester. You do not need to contact Residential Life; instead please make sure you complete the Graduation Application (https://registrar.umbc.edu/preparing-for-graduation/) by the expressed deadline.
- Housing & SDS Accommodation | Students with an approved accommodation from Student Disability Student (sds.umbc.edu) to carry less than full-time credits for the Spring 2023 will be granted an exception to remain in housing at part-time status, once we receive a copy of their accommodation letter. You do not need to contact Residential Life; please work directly with SDS.
Students with outstanding fall semester balances over $250 may be ineligible to register for Spring courses and risk housing termination. Primary contacts for assistance in resolving account issues are Student Business Services (umbc.edu) and The Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships(financialaid.umbc.edu). If your fall account is not cleared or you are not granted a registration clearance by December 13, 2022, you may receive a Spring Housing Termination Notice and will be expected to vacate and remove all personal items by 8 p.m. on December 21, 2022.
We wish you the best of luck at the end of the semester!