Greetings Residential Retrievers--
Spring break is right around the corner, which means we are halfway through the semester. Please take the time to review this email.
- Today, March 1, 2023
- Walker Avenue Apartments Housing Selection Applications Available for eligible students at 10 a.m.
- Application available for Desk, Office & Conference Assistant Positions
- March 10, 2023
- The Walker Avenue Housing Selection Application will close on March 10, 2023 at 5 p.m. or when 500 individuals have applied, whichever occurs first.
- March 17, 2023 at 8PM
- 8-Month Communities close for Spring Break
- 8-Month Communities Health & Safety Inspections
- Deadline to apply for Summer and Fall Residential Life Student Staff Positions
- March 26, 2023 at 12PM
- April 1, 2023 at 5PM
Spring Break Closing & Health & Safety Inspections
Eight-month communities (Chesapeake, Erickson, Patapsco, Susquehanna, and Harbor East & 2-4 North wings) close for Spring Break on Friday, March 17, 2023 at 8 p.m. and reopen on Sunday, March 26, 2023 at noon.
Students in eight-month communities are expected to vacate and complete the below checklist to help ensure the overall health and safety of your room and personal belongings:
- Clean your bathroom and personal spaces well.
- Remove and dispose of all trash in a trash room or a dumpster.
- Turn the heat to 68-72.
- Unplug all appliances and extension cords from the wall, with the exception of refrigerators and fish tanks.
- Feed your fish and water your plants.
- Pack medications and other necessities you might need during break.
- Turn off water.
- Turn off lights and bathroom exhaust fans.
- Close and lock all windows and doors.
- Close blinds on ground-level floor rooms; leave blinds up on all other floors.
- Report facilities concerns to your RA or FXIT (x53948).
RAs will conduct an inspection in each 8-month community. Failure to properly prepare your space and vacate by the deadline may result in student conduct action. For more information about break closing please contact your RA or Community Director.
Spring Break Services for 9-Month (Continuous) Residents
There are limited campus services during most breaks, especially when the University offices are closed.
Residents in 9-month continuous housing will still have access to staff at their community desk, RA, and Campus Police; the Harbor Community Desk has modified hours (8AM-8PM) during semester breaks.
Walker Avenue Housing Selection
Walker Avenue Housing Selection will take place this month for eligible students who complete the Walker Avenue Housing Application by the deadline/cutoff. Undergraduate students who are not eligible to participate in Walker Selection, may be eligible to participate in Residential Life Housing Selection beginning April 1, 2023.
To learn more about eligibility please visit https://reslife.umbc.edu/apply/currentstudents/ and explore the following resources:
- Housing Selection Assistant Tool
- 2023-2024 Housing Selection Guide
- Housing Selection FAQs
- How to Complete the Housing Selection Application Video
- How to Find Roommates & Form a Roommate Group Video
- How to Select a Room Video
Walker Avenue Information Sessions
- February 15 at Noon- General Housing Selection Information Session Video
- March 8 at Noon- Walker Avenue Housing Selection: Application & Group Formation (Virtual)
- March 8 at 8 p.m.- Walker Avenue Roommate Mixer hosted by RSA at the Apartment Community Center
- March 15 at Noon- Walker Avenue Housing Selection: How to Search For & Select a Room (Virtual)
Residential Life Employment
Residential Life has a variety of summer and academic year hourly positions available:
- Desk Assistant Job Description
- Office Assistant Job Description
- Summer Conference Assistant Position Description
To learn more please visit https://reslife.umbc.edu/about/staff-employment/. The deadline to apply for any of these positions is March 17, 2023 at 11:59PM.