Winter Break Closing Information
Eight-month communities close for Winter Break on Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 8:00 PM and reopen on Sunday, January 26, 2020 at 9AM.
Students in 8-month communities are expected to vacate and complete the below checklist to help ensure the overall health & safety of your room and personal belongings:
- Clean your bathroom and personal spaces well.
- Clean your refrigerator and dispose of perishable items.
- Defrost and prop microfridge doors open.
- Take valuables home including medicine, passports, pet fish, and any other items you will need over break. Communities will be inaccessible during break.
- Remove all remaining personal items from the floor and place on elevated surfaces.
- Remove and dispose of all trash in a trash room or a dumpster.
- Set the heat between 70-72.
- Unplug all appliances and extension cords from the wall, including microfridges.
- Turn off water.
- Turn off lights and bathroom exhaust fans.
- Close and lock all windows and doors.
- Close blinds on ground floor rooms; leave blinds up on all other floors.
- Report facilities concerns to FXIT (x53948).
RAs will conduct an inspection in each 8-month community. Failure to properly prepare your space and vacate by the deadline may result in student conduct action. For more information about break closing please contact your RA or Community Director.
Late Stay Requests
Residents may be eligible to apply for late stay if their permanent address is more than 50 miles (Distance D) from UMBC and they are:
- Have a late exam ending after 8PM on Wednesday, December 18, 2019; or
- Volunteering with commencement
Residents approved for late stay will be expected to depart by Thursday, December 19, 2019 at 10AM.
If you meet the requirements, please contact Residential Life to be issued the late stay application. Late stay applications are due by Sunday, December 8, 2019 at 11:59PM.