The Maryland Green Registry presented the 2021 Leadership Award to UMBC for outstanding contributions to environmentally responsible and sustainable business practices. The Leadership Award recognizes organizations that have shown a strong commitment to the implementation of sustainable practices, the demonstration of measurable results, and the continual improvement of environmental performance.
UMBC's Specific Environmental Achievements contributing to this award include:
· A revised Climate Action Plan that accelerates UMBC's target for carbon neutrality from 2075 to 2050 while also establish climate change resilience metrics
· Upgraded mechanical and electrical equipment that save more than 12.7 million kWh and 3 million gallons of water per year
· Expanding plastic film collection and landfill diversion with an anticipated collection rate of 900+ pounds per month
· Composting of food scraps and landscaping waste
· Achievement of AASHE STARS Silver
The Registry is a voluntary program that promotes and recognizes environmentally sustainable practices in organizations of all types and sizes statewide. Visit the Maryland Green Registry website for tips and resources designed to help organizations set and meet their own goals on the path to sustainability.
Maryland Green Registry Leadership Award winners represent a variety of facility types and sizes, but all have several key factors in common that contribute to their success: an organization-wide commitment to environmental performance; a green team that meets on a regular basis; and annual environmental goals and measurement of results. Past winners can be viewed on the Registry website.