Work type: Faculty- Librarian
Location: UMBC Campus
As part of the Library Information Technology Services (LITS) division, the I.T. Librarian oversees the daily operations of IT support and AV services for staff computing as well as AV deployment in the Library & Gallery. Works closely with DolT in management of the Library's public computing and AV resources. This position works collaboratively in a diverse and inclusive environment with librarians and staff, both inside and outside of the Library & Gallery, to implement effective and equitable technological solutions including assistive technologies and to identify current and emerging technologies to meet the evolving needs and expectations for an academic library environment. Assesses and documents condition and use of technologies in the building; makes recommendations on existing and emerging technology and resources based on gaps in meeting user needs and emerging trends. The IT Librarian is responsible administering and maintaining library applications including, but not limited to, ILLiad, CONTENTdm, Connexion, Ares, Aleph, and EBSCO Discovery Services (EDS). In addition, the IT Librarian supports efficient use of technology for employees in the Library & Gallery including through management and training for various systems, development of best practices for document management and use of cloud systems, and development of procedures and training for other topics as needed. The position also assists with the coordination and continued development of local digitization projects and with defining and implementing the Library & Gallery's digital preservation strategy. This position also manages and maintains servers for storage and backups. Other duties as assigned.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Requires a Master's degree from an ALA-accredited library school or information science program
- Knowledge of computer workstations, networking, and computer security.
- Knowledge of web client and server applications, databases, and Web programming environments.
- Knowledge or experience working with integrated library systems and the application of technology to enhance effectiveness in library operations.
- Demonstrated knowledge of technology trends, standards, information technology best practices, and issues in academic libraries.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of information technology principles, processes, systems and standards, including operating systems, systems security, wireless networking, and digital initiatives and emerging web technologies.
- Demonstrated experience in progressively responsible supervisory positions, managing multiple priorities.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Background in computer science or related field
- Demonstrated experience with system administration and network administration.
- Experience working with digital repositories or working to develop projects that support locally digitized scholarly content.
- Experience leading projects or implementing new technologies, preferably in an academic library environment.
- Experience with Ex Libris products
Review of application materials will begin December 20, 2019 and will continue until the position is filled.
Salary & Benefits:
Position is a 12-month library faculty appointment at anticipated rank of Librarian II. Minimum salary: $65,000, comprehensive benefits.
The successful candidate will be expected to meet library and university requirements for reappointment, promotion, and permanent status, as outlined in part 6.6 of the Faculty Handbook - http://provost.umbc.edu/faculty-handbook/.
This is a full time (40 hrs/wk) position, Monday to Friday.
UMBC is an Affirmative
Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Applications from women, minority
group members, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged
As required by the 1986 Immigration Act, be prepared to present acceptable documentation upon hire showing your identity and that you are a U.S. citizen or an alien who is authorized to work.